If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Portland, there are a few things you should know in order to receive compensation for your damages. The goal of a Portland slip and fall lawyer is to deliver all accident victims fair compensation for all of their pain and suffering.
Accidents such as slip and falls, are by their nature unplanned events. While you can’t plan for something like this to happen, there are some things you can do after the fact to place yourself in the best possible position for receiving compensation. Even if you do not feel injured or notice any major complications right away, it is common for people to experience their pain-related symptoms days or weeks after the initial date of the accident.
Gathering Evidence in the Event of a Slip and Fall
- Take photographs of the situation as soon as possible after the fall. Almost everyone these days has a smartphone (or at the very least a phone with a camera built-in), so keeping track of the hazardous conditions is very accessible.
- Make a note of the immediate area where the fall occurred, as well as any spills, objects or items that may have contributed to the fall. If you are too injured to do it yourself, ask for assistance so that someone else can annotate your immediate surroundings.
Obtain Witness Accounts
- If anyone witnessed your fall, make a note of their name and contact information so that you can utilize their account within your injury claim.
- Eyewitness testimony can help you prove your case by confirming your alleged side of the facts.
Obtain a Duplicate of the Accident Report
- As part of their accident policy, most large stores and businesses require an accident report. If one has been completed, make sure you have a copy of it. You have the right to know what information they wrote about your accident.
Seek Medical Help
- It is critical that you seek medical attention as soon as possible after being injured. The longer it takes for you to have a medical report, the fewer chances you’ll have of attaining compensation.
- Make a list of all of your pain symptoms and do not wait for your injuries to heal on their own.
- Some injuries take time to truly manifest themselves, and that is why getting checked out right away can help you avoid any future physical complications.
Obtain the Services of a Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Slip and fall cases are sought after by the insurance companies. These are profit-driven organizations that strive to spend less and earn more based on your pain and suffering. However, by hiring an experienced Portland slip and fall lawyer, these legal experts will defend you from their undermining schemes and ensure that you receive the compensation that you’re owed.
- An experienced slip and fall lawyer will also assist you by gathering evidence through investigators, compiling your case, and adding value to your injuries. If you have any evidence of your own, make sure that you provide it to your injury lawyer.
Proving Fault in a Slip and Fall Accident
Accident victims and their slip and fall lawyer must gather three crucial points:
Duty of Care
- The property owner or business owed the injured person a duty of care.
- When a store, for example, is open for business, it’s inviting you to come in and shop. As a host, these property owners must make sure that their establishments are free of any potential hazards.
- You must show that the store, business, or property owner failed to maintain or operate the property with reasonable care.
- Based on the evidence, tort law determines what is reasonable in each case. For example, is it realistic to expect a store to clean up a spill in the main walkway within three hours?
- The third element is demonstrating that the business or property owner caused the injury by failing to maintain their property with reasonable care. Culpability is given at the lack of action to eliminate those potential hazards
Why Do I Need a Slip and Fall Lawyer?
If you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall, you should speak with a slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
- A qualified slip and fall attorney will assist you in properly documenting your physical injuries by doing so, your accident claim will be filled out with any mistakes.
- A slip and fall lawyer will provide the knowledge and experience necessary to reach a successful settlement.
Professional Legal Help is All You Need
It takes more than medical paperwork to represent the seriousness of your injuries as well as any pain and suffering. That is why at senft legal, we will provide you with the services of the best trusted Portland slip and fall attorney who can help you document lost wages, organize your medical bills, and add value to your injuries.
Allow the experts at Senft Legal Law to represent you. Without a doubt, we will deliver you the compensation that you’re entitled to. Allowing a property owner to ignore your pain and suffering is simply unacceptable. To schedule a consultation, contact us today at 503-647-4954!